5 Ways to Make a Great First Impression
Once you meet someone, they will form an impression of you that will likely last and become difficult to change, and this usually happens within the very first seconds of your encounter, according to a Princeton research.
In this short time, people form an opinion about you from your attire, your face expressions, your posture, your eye contact and your choice of words. So it’s important to pay attention to all of these if you are looking to be instantly liked and remembered.
Here are 5 quick ways to make sure that people you meet will be definitely impressed.
1. Dress appropriately. Have the right clothes on, depending on where you want to go. Your personal appearance says a lot about you so it’s crucial to take the time to step it up.
2. Maintain eye contact. One of the main things that show you in a good light is keeping your body language open. For example, look at the other person in the eye while speaking and listening, don’t cross your arms and don’t forget to smile.
3. Encourage others to talk about themselves and listen effectively. Be interested in others, and don’t make yourself the center of attention or the other person will assume that you are self-centered and they will not only lose interest in you but also form a bad impression.
4. Show that you are a risk-taker. Try to prove that you are unafraid to fail, and one way to do it is through acknowledging that you are a flawed human being. This kind of quality is often admirable.
5. Be punctual. When you’re going to meet someone for the first time, arrive on time and even a few minutes earlier. This shows how committed and interested you are about the rendezvous.
Meeting people for the first time can be anxiety-ridden. But if you’re courteous, sincere and positive, you will most likely be off to a healthy start. You get only one chance at making a good and memorable first impression. Make it worthwhile.
(picture credit: onlinecareertips.com)