The importance of youth in supporting renewable energy.
"Energy is the golden thread that connects economic growth, social equity, and environmental sustainability. With access to energy, people can study, go to university, get a job, start a business and reach their full potential", remarked Ban Ki Moon in the context of “Sustainable Energy for All” initiative development in 2012.
Without access to energy, thousands of major human activities would stop. Security, medical and hospitals’ devices, food production, increasing incomes, IT operations and so much more would stop working without it.
However, not all the forms of energy we need are renewable. National Geographic has estimated that even with innovations happening in the energy sector, only 6 percent of the energy used worldwide comes from renewable sources. Coming up with clean energy sources is vital for fighting climate change and limiting its most devastating effects.
It has been estimated that nowadays almost three billion people, 41 percent of the world’s population, still don’t have access to clean fuels and technologies for cooking and that one billion people around the world, 17 percent of the world’s population, don't have access to energy at all.
Youth’s engagement in advocating for renewable energy and ensuring access to clean energy for all is essential.
You can start making a positive impact right now, paying attention to use energy in the proper way, putting these simple tips into practice:
- Turn the lights off when you don’t need them.
- Do not abuse of heat or air conditioning.
- Don’t use multiple devices at the same time and avoid recharging your device all night long.
- Spread knowledge and raise awareness about the importance of sustainable energy.
- Invite your family, friends, classmates, colleagues and people around you in general to not waste energy.
- Cooperate with organizations supporting communities without access to energy and join campaigns advocating for clean energy.
- If you are a student or an expert in disciplines related to energy production and renovation, you can organize workshops or give lessons about renewable energy.
Simply try to turn the light off in your room everytime you leave; you will definitely feel the change! But, if you are in any way already involved with the achievement of this Goal, stop wasting time and join our competition here: https://goo.gl/5LUfP2 .