10 reasons you should sign up for a dance class
Not a fan of the typical gym workout? Why not sign up for a dance class instead? Besides being one of the most expressive art forms to ever grace the planet, dance can be a fun activity that engages both your body and brain in a variety of ways.
1. Improve your strength and flexibility. In addition to conditioning your flexibility, dance classes offer an array of strength-building exercises. This keeps your muscles and joints healthy, even as your body ages.
2. Mingle with fun people and weave new friendships. Dance helps you socialize. You’re basically surrounded by people who share your passion for movement and the initial creative exchange often turns into interesting, and sometimes enduring, social interactions. Keep in mind that many dancers have developed lasting friendships and precious shared moments throughout their years of training .
3. Suck up everyday stress. Dance is a wonderful way to shake up your daily routine. Get rid of the stress by surrendering your body and soul entirely to the healing powers of creative movement.
4. Gain better control of your body. Dance training helps you refine your body control and visibly improves your posture and balance. You are also very likely to utilize parts of your body you never knew existed, which allows you to better understand your physical composition. This sense of control is not limited to the dance studio but rather extends to every aspect of your everyday life, especially when it comes to nonverbal communication.
5. Experience the true value of teamwork. Creating aesthetically pleasant and beautifully synchronized choreography does not simply happen without efficient teamwork. You will learn to operate as part of a coherent creative entity, growing more aware of the people around you and even adjusting your contribution in a way to fit into the overall intention of the group.
6. Boost your confidence levels. Just by watching yourself create beautiful stories using your body, you will become more confident and eager to take on new challenges. Dance helps you connect with both your body and soul.
7. Fine-tune your response to criticism. You are often subjected to instant feedback from your instructor during dance class, which gradually shapes your response to criticism. This constructive immediacy helps you better attend to and overcome your limitations.
8. Express yourself creatively. Dance stretches the limits of self-expression, resulting in a beautiful marriage of movement and emotion. You will learn to communicate a story without saying a word.
9. Practice and develop patience. Needless to say, taking up a few dance sessions per months will not turn you into a dance legend overnight. It takes a tremendous amount of time, patience and dedication to discipline your body and acquire proper dance techniques.
10. Get the party started. No more worrying about how you should carry yourself during a party (or any other social occasion that involves dancing for that matter). You know what to do. The dance floor awaits!
Cover photo credit: Media.fromthegrapevine.com