Having a strong immune system is crucial to protect the body and keeping it free of infections, diseases and illnesses. Dietary deficiencies can lead to a weakened immune system, making the body vulnerable to various health problems, especially during cold season.
The immune system is not a single entity. To function well, it requires balance and harmony. Researchers are exploring the effects of diet, exercise, age, psychological stress, herbal supplements and other factors on the immune system’s response to them.
Experts from the Harvard Medical School's teach others that following general good-health guidelines is the best step to keep immune systems strong and healthy. Every part of the body functions better when protected from environmental assaults and bolstered by healthy-living strategies such as these:
- Do not smoke.
- Eat a diet high in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and low in saturated fat.
- Exercise regularly.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Control blood pressure.
- Drink alcohol in moderation.
- Get adequate sleep.
- Take steps to avoid infection, such as washing your hands frequently and cooking meats thoroughly.
- Get regular medical screening tests for people in your age and risk category.
The following video provides some easy but very helpful recipes and tips to follow a proper diet.
Cover credit: Alldaychemist.com